Pages

Saturday, June 7, 2014

Week 49: I'm in Coyoles...and I feel like I'm in Burley:)

June 2, 2014


Hey family! Well here I am at last in Coyoles the farthest area away from the offices. Got the good news Wednesday and left from San Pedro at 1 pm and arrived in Olanchito at 9 pm. It was really hard to leave my old area because I had become so close to the people. So my area is the farm town of Dole banana. So everyone works in the banana farm. I feel like I am in Burley, Idaho. (Cows on the side of the road) There is a couple buses that go through the area taking people to Olanchito. They pass every 30 mins and the last one is at 4pm. So when I showed up to Olanchito I had to stay the night with the zls. The light goes out frequently. I am in charge of a couple of areas. The biggest part in another town that is about 1 hour by foot, it’s called the San Jose. So we have been walking a ton. The water comes every couple of days, but we have a house that always has water. Its pretty dumpy but always has water. The people come and fill up there buckets with water. That is also a normal service project, filling up buckets of water and taking it to houses. Time has slowed down here. Its really dry here too, its also looks like Utah. There isn’t a single paved road here. I don’t really feel like I am in Honduras any more. The people here are really awesome and really nice. We have another area where the people don’t have light and live in mud houses. So we can only go in there during the day. For a long time the missionaries have been using bikes here but now bikes are against the Central America rules so now we just walk. It is so calm here its crazy. People just work out in the banana farm then hang out with their cows so its super cool. Had some really cool experiences where we found some inactives and they expressed their interest in coming back. So that was awesome. I am in a branch of a normal 60 attendance. There is a lot of work to do here that’s for sure. The Branch President has been president for 12 years so is burned out a bit. I am out here with 6 missionaries. I live with two of them, Elder Ruiz and Elder Choez. I’m the only gringo out here so that’s pretty cool. My comp is Elder Xol and is really cool. A recent convert of 2 years and has the same time in the mission as Elder De Leon. 

I learned a really interesting lesson this week. It doesn’t matter where you serve, who you serve, or who you are with. The thing that matters is how you serve. That is the key. Some can do a lot of good but if he doesn’t give his all it will not benefit him. The Gospel teaches us the people we must be to be happy. Thanks for your support. Oh and one more thing, I have heard that letters and packages may not make it out here, so lets hope the packages make it through. 

Hope you guys have a fun and safe trip. Love you guys and hope and pray that you guys will stay strong. The key to enduring to the end is always having your focus on Jesus Christ. Keeping Him in the center of everything that you do. That is why the second principle that we teach is that the Gospel Blesses families. That’s true a family that sets their fundamental on Christ cannot not fall. Sure hard time will come, sure the winds will blow, but you will not fall. This past week read in Helaman 5 and I love the advice Helaman gives to his 2 sons who will be serving missions. We all know the advice he gives, but read that this week, Helaman 5. It’s definitely on the list of favorite chapters. It has been one of the saddest things on my mission to watch families get ripped apart. It can happen to anyone. The only way to a strong family is through Christ doing the things that the prophets teach us. The gospel is the way of protection. But on the contrary the biggest miracle to me is seeing families that are reunited and strengthened thanks to Gospel. So make Him the center of your home, life, and family. And I promise you, you will not fall. Stay strong guys and hope you guys have a wonderful week.

Love you guys
Elder Neuberger

No comments:

Post a Comment