Pages

Monday, August 12, 2013

Week 7: First Week in Honduras

Hola mi familia!
Well this week was my first week in Honduras, so needless to say things have been pretty hectic and crazy, but awesome! I don´t think Honduras has any rules, driving is crazy. There is no trash cans here so people just throw there trash everywhere. There is so much stuff to talk about so hopefully I can say it all. Oh could you send this letter to Hunter and Jaren and anyone else you want. I am so happy everything is good back home. The talk that Beck gave made me cry. Right now I am literally sitting in a house in the middle of the jungle typing on a computer in a random room in the back of the house. Also I have my companion, a 8 year old girl, and a 14 year old boy watching me type in English. It is so awesome! People here speak extremely fast. But I am starting to understand. It is extremely hot here in Honduras, basically it is like hiking in church clothes with your clothes stuck to you it is so hot. I sweat a ton. There isn´t a lot of bugs because we are by the ocean, but my area there is a ton of hills and so we walk up these crazy steep hills, that the people here manage to get there cars up. Some of the things that happen here are crazy and just make me laugh. Most of the time I really have no idea what is going on, I just follow my companion around and ask the same question, A donde vamos? then my companion just starts speaking really fast and sometimes I can understand but most of I don´t. So needless to say I ask that question a lot and my companion is probably sick of it. It is kind of weird seeing English and being and to type in English and not having to translate or understand what is going on. When I first showed up I thought my house was pretty nice but after walking around and teaching, I have realized how really nice our house is. The people here don´t have a lot but are extremely happy. I love the people here. I can´t believe that I used to live in a house that it the size of 6-10 houses here and take it for granted. Our area is just a bunch of random different trails and paths that in the area book, the past missionaries just draw pictures of where the house is. It is really funny. They don´t have addresses here. The spanish I guess is coming along, it is just really hard for me to speak but I can understand the general theme of what is going on if I really focus. My companion is awesome!! His name is Elder Lucha, lucha means like a fight or a struggle. He is so cool! He only knows Spanish which is good because it forces me to learn and speak. He teaches me Spanish and I teach him English. To find investigators we are going to have an English class every Saturday. The people here are very friendly and will listen to you but won´t keep commitments, so we have to find the people that are looking and want the gospel because there are so many people that will listen but won´t keep commitments. It´s funny, where ever we go, people try to speak the couple words of english to me that they know which generally consists of whats up or I love you. It is really funny. It is also really funny when I go to say something then they look at my companion to figure out what I said. I don´t know if I will have time to send pictures but hopefully you can email me back. Basically all we have been doing today is playing soccer. The food here is really good! Execpt for the cheese. I am not a big fan of the cheese here. It tastes likes rubber. It tastes like salt and bad milk. So I just chop it up into small pieces and stir it in with my food and just eat it. I think I am gaining weight. They feed me so much here. Sometimes I wonder what it is like to be hungry. I also wonder what it is like to be cold. Sometimes I day dream of being freezing cold while we are walking. Anyways I don´t have much time, but hopefully I will have time to answer any questions you have. That´s awesome about Jake Cranney, it was so awesome to see someone I know and to be able to talk with. He is doing awesome! That is so cool about Jade and the other people at home! Tell Jaren good luck and to pray always. That´s about all I do here. We work so hard that once it hit the bed I am out. The work here is very hard just because it is so hot and we walk a ton. But I probably should´t complain since I there are other areas that are hotter.
Well I love you guys and I am so happy to here everyone is doing awesome! Thank you for your support and your prayers. It has been very difficult to keep going at times but every time I get to that a small miracle comes like a gust of wind of a inspirational quote comes to mind that keeps me going. Heavenly Father is always aware of us and plays a huge part in our everyday lives. I have a testimony of that. The church is doing awesome here in Honduras. The members are awesome, they would do anything for you. I love the children they remind me of you guys. Hopefully I will be able to send pictures.

I love you guys so much.

Elder Neuberger

2 comments:

  1. Hey guys Kaden's Mission President's Wife posted a video on youtube of all the new missionaries showing up at the airport. If you want to check it out here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9izM_eB1ho0

    ReplyDelete
  2. And check out her blog at themissionpresidentswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete