Pages

Monday, July 8, 2013

Week 2: Don't Just Survive, Thrive


Hola! Como estan? Espero que ustedes estan muy bien! This week cruised by! It feels like a day ago it was last p-day. I have loved reading your letters. Let me tell you about my daily schedule. There is 8 elders in my district. Me, Elder McCourt (my companion), Elder Ried, Elder Hansgen, Elder Lambert, Elder Tolbert, Elder Smith, and Elder McCleand (don't know how to spell his name).
 Kaden with Elder McCourt (his MTC companion)
Anyway I am in a room with Elder McCourt, Elder Smith, and Elder McCleand. I am the only person in my room going to Honduras, all of the other elders are going to Mexico Aguascalientes Mission. In the other room there is all of the other missionaries that are going to Honduras with me. We wake up at 5:40 to be able to get a shower and get to breakfast at 6:30. After breakfast we have personal study time from 7 to 8, then we have class, more study time, lunch, study, study, and study. We have different times we study different things. We have two 3 hour class sessions one with Hermana Castillo who went to Argentina on her mission and Hermano Notemayer who went to the Dominican Republic. They are the 2 best teachers ever! I have learned a lot from them. Our teachers also take on a role of one of their own investigators and we teach them. I have taught 4 lessons all in spanish! Pretty crazy! I am starting to be able to understand a lot more but its very difficult for me to figure out what to say and to pronunciate my words. But my teachers said that I need to trust in my Spanish because I apparently know it (even though it doesn't seem like it). This week we are going to be teaching 2 investigators, Andres and Guandelupe. I'm super excited for it. Its really interesting how much fun I am having studying 16 hours a day. I didn't think that was possible but I love it. I love being here and there is no other place that I want to be right now. Every Sunday and Tuesday night we have a devotional. They are awesome! I learn so much from them and they are a spiritual recharge. Oh and that cool story that mom told me about feeling at peace on Tuesday, that was the same day that I felt at peace and not homesick. That day for me changed everything. I know that Heavenly Father answers our prayers because he has done it time and time again here for me and I know he has to you guys. I have been praying for Ledger a lot lately and I hope he is going to be ok. Elder Tolbert (From st. George) is heading home today or tomorrow because he has really bad anxiety. I have been talking to him a lot and I hope he comes back. Oh and for July 4th we had a cool devtional and watched 17 miracles and also watched the fireworks from outside. I took pictures. Let me know how and when I should send them back. Sorry I am trying to get my thoughts together and type as fast as I possibly can to get as much stuff down.

I just wanted to share some of the things I learned over the past week.  When I first showed up everyone kept telling me "make it to Sunday" or "make it to this day" or just merely survive through your mission. That statement made me think about all of the times that I had gone through a hard trial and just focused on surviving. If we only focus on surviving that is all we will do. While I was writing in my journal about this I recieved some inspiration. I wrote "don't just merely survive, thrive." When Christ was going through the Atonement and after 3 of his disciples didn't support him and 1 rejected him, what did he do? He comforted them and even healed one of the guard's ear that was going to take him away. Every Sunday night, they have movies or devotionals playing that we can go and watch. Last night I went to character of Christ by Elder Bednar. That talk changed me. You guys should look it up because I don't really know where to begin to talk about it. The main point was talking about the character of Christ. Christ would turn out and serve others when we would turn in and become selfish. I have noticed that when the times that I turn in and think about myself my Spanish goes away and my relationship with my companion struggles. I loved what Dad talked told me about his mission. Now the main focus for me has turned to those around me, I have just been focusing on loving those around me and trying to quit thinking about myself.
 Enjoying a devotional

Oh, Abby Snow, Tim Price and Grandma Beck wrote me. I don't have a lot of time so maybe I will just try to write letters to you guys so I can say as much stuff as I can. I loved the packages and my district did too:). Thanks so much the cake and all of the other stuff was awesome! Tell Beck thanks for making me that awesome picture! I have it hung up on my desk. I loved reading your guys letters and it sounds like you guys are doing awesome! My tentative date of departure is on the 5 of august but im not sure ill keep you guys posted. And no I won't have the same problem as Austin because I just need my passport to get into the country and they make me a visa there. Devin Brown left today so I'm pretty jealous of him:) I have seen everyone here! Brandon looked pretty overwhelmed on the first day but he seems to be doing really well. Jake Nicholas got moved up to intermediate Spanish so that was pretty cool. The food here is pretty good but we eat every 3-4 hours so Fast Sunday yesterday was quite difficult. You were right dad this food doesn't leave! I have about 15 minutes left so I'll let you guys respond and ask some questions because I don't really know what I said. Sorry about the bad spelling and random thoughts I am just so excited that I don't know where to begin. Just write me back and I will be able to get back to you in a little bit because we have personal study right now.

I love you guys and thank you so much for your support to be able to go serve the people of Honduras.

Love, Elder Neuberger

P.S. I love getting packages and letters so please keep sending! thanks! you guys are the best!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment